Let's face it - we all have friends who are poised, elegant and incredibly good looking. No matter what day it is, where they are, or what time is, they always look like... well, like what you and I would love to look like on one day, let alone everyday. Their hair is always neatly styled. Their makeup is always fresh and neatly applied. Their bodies are toned, svelte and tanned. Their clothes are always stylish and well-fitted.
Not only that, but their houses are tidy and clean. You're certain "Home Beautiful" is showcasing their home in their next issue. The laundry is always done. The Christmas cards are addressed by early November and the Christmas gifts were purchased in July, most of them at bargain prices.
They always say the right thing at the right time. Their speech is graced with intelligence and graceful humor. Their demeanor never slips, even when no one is watching.
I feel ugly and awkward next to them. Sometimes it's all I can do to keep from asking them: "What's it like to beautiful?" "What's it like to have your life together?" "What's it like to be perfect?"
I wonder what they see when they look in the mirror. I want to be like them. Sometimes I want to be them.
Thankfully, God's blessed me with Katie. Katie (not her real name) is not thin. Her hair often looks like she's pulled it back just to keep it out of her face for a few minutes. She seldom wears makeup. I have yet to see her in designer jeans or a well-tailored suit.
Katie will the first to tell you that housekeeping is not one of her spiritual gifts. She's usually a bit late. She seems to thrive on chaos.
But everyone loves Katie. She laughs loud and often. She is passionate for her friends. She'll listen for hours when someone needs a shoulder to cry on. She never thinks ill of anyone, nor does she judge them. She'll share whatever she has with anyone who needs something.
Katie is comfortable with who she is. No matter where she is, she always makes others feel at home and loved. She makes us feel safe.
Katie leaves me wanting to ask her, "What's it like to be wonderful?"
Katie once told me comparisons are the poisons that breed discontent. I think she's right. It's not who we are or what we look like that makes us ugly. It's discontentment.
We're taught not to judge others. In some ways that's easy. What's hard is to stop judging ourselves. It's easy to be distracted by the things that seem so visible, but don't last or won't impact the legacy we'll leave. It's easy to want talents and abilities that leave people in awe.
I'm sure I'll never win a beauty contest or have my home photographed for a magazine. But I have gifts that God has given me, even if some of them don't seem glamorous to me. And I'll never learn to use them as long as I continue to make comparisons with the gifts he has given others.
The beauty of a gift is never known until it's used. That's beauty I can live with.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way through.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Personally I am intimidated by those "perfect on the outside" people and find it harder to have conversations with them. I am very drawn to friendly, imperfect, real-life people.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, you, I, we all have wonderful gifts. Thanks for making me think about that too!
Thanks for sharing this Jan...comparisons are a major theme in my life and one I must overcome!
ReplyDelete<3 Terri